"An arbitrary succession of more or less irritating sounds"

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Turn to stone



Footnote to yesterday's track of the day from Fennesz: a preview of Seven Stars' "certain lightness" - from the luscious but ultimately somewhat unsatisfying Liminal & title track (for all its jazzy brushwork) to the more wholesome Shift & July (the former a deep, gripping drone, the latter a beautifully resolved arc out of knotty abstraction) - for the non-Spotty...

Blurb: "Seven Stars was recorded in Vienna in January 2011. I recorded and mixed the album within 3 weeks. Liminal and July were existing pieces which i have reworked. (I wrote an early version of Liminal in a hotel room in Bali in 2010). There is also a version of Liminal that I have been playing live for some time. My friend Steven Hess, with whom I have worked before, happened to be in Vienna at the time of the sessions, so I invited him to join me in the studio. Christoph Amann recorded the drums using a selection of his great microphones including his amazing new Josephson.
I wanted to make a record that has a certain lightness about it and at the same time explore new territory using drums on one track. This might be something I will continue with in the future."

Note also confirmation that Fennesz's third collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto, Flumina, is due out this summer on Touch.


Important: LMYE only makes music available that artists/labels have chosen to share freely. Let us know if something here shouldn't be.

No comments:

Go to Beatport.comGet These TracksAdd This Player